Skip to content
- The food items that get spoilt easily are known as ‘Perishable Food Items’.
- The food items that do not get spoilt easily and can be stored for a long time are known as ‘Non-Perishable Food Items’.
- Some of the perishable food items are milk, fruits, vegetables, bread, etc.
- Some of the non-perishable food items are biscuits, wafers, pickles, jams, etc.
- There are certain methods to preserve food items, like adding salt or sugar, adding oil, drying, canning, freezing, etc. These methods are known as ‘Preservation Methods’.
- Milk can be preserved by boiling and then keeping in fridge.
- Pulses and cereals have to be kept in dry containers to preserve them for a long time.
- Vegetables have to be kept in fridge.
- Some vegetables like onion and potato can be kept in dry open place for preservation.
- Mamidi tandra is made from ripe mangoes.
- The pulp of mangoes is collected in a large pot.
- Then it is strained through a muslin cloth in order to remove fibres.
- Jaggery and sugar is added in the pulp in equal amounts.
- The pulp is spread in thin layer to dry in sun.
- The pulp layer is covered with some clothes in order to protect it from dust.
- Each day a new layer is added on the top of the old layer.
- This continues for 4 weeks.
- At the end of 4 weeks, it looks like a golden cake and is cut into small pieces to serve.