The Southern Plateau of India is triangular in shape.
It is surrounded by Aravalli Hills in the north-west and Rajmahal Hills in the north-east. It is bordered by Eastern Ghats in the east and Western Ghats in the west.
It is divided into two parts by the Satpura Hills and Narmada River. The two parts are : Central Highlands and Deccan Plateau.
- It is located to the north of Satpura Hills and Narmada river.
- It consists of Malwa Plateau and Chota Nagpur Plateau.
- Malwa Plateau covers parts of Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh.
- Chota Nagpur Plateau is rich in minerals like bauxite, iron, coal, manganese, etc.
- It lies south of the Narmada river and Satpura ranges.
- It is surrounded by Western Ghats and Eastern Ghats.
- The Nilgiris, Anaimalai and Cardamom are some of the important hills of Western Ghats.
- It is rich in iron, gold and mica deposits.
Rivers of the Southern Plateau:
- Rivers like Mahanadi, Narmada, Tapi, Godavari, Krishna, Kaveri, etc. irrigate the Southern plateau.
- All the rivers flow into Bay of Bengal, except Narmada and Tapi. They flow into Arabian Sea.
- Many rivers form beautiful waterfalls. For eg: Jog Falls in Karnataka is the highest waterfall in India.
States that lie in Southern Plateau Region:
- Capital – Bhopal
- Important cities – Jabalpur, Gwalior, Indore
- Crops grown – wheat, cotton, sugarcane, oilseeds.
- Tourist attractions – Khajuraho Temples, Sanchi Stupa.
- National Parks – Kanha, Bandhavgarh
- One of the leading states in mineral production.
- Capital – Raipur
- Important cities – Bhilai, Dantewad, Bilaspur
- Crops grown – paddy, maize, kodo-kutki
- Tourist attractions – Charre Marre waterfalls, Sirpur, Chitrakote falls.
- National Parks – Indravati, Guru Ghasidas
- Coal, iron and manganese are found here.
- Capital – Mumbai
- Important cities – Nasik, Pune, Aurangabad
- Crops grown – sugarcane, cotton, wheat
- Tourist attractions – Gateway of India, Ajanta and Ellora caves, Mahabaleshwar
- National Parks – Tadoba, Sanjay Gandhi
- Important minerals like bauxite, chromite, dolomite, etc. are found here.
- Capital – Bengaluru
- Important cities – Hubli, Mysore, Bijapur
- Crops grown – jowar, ragi, coffee
- Tourist attractions – Hampi, Jog falls, Coorg
- National parks – Bannerghata, Bandipur
- Important minerals like vanadium ore, tungsten, gold, etc. are found here.
The remaining states of Southern Plateau will be covered in the next part.