Q: Answer the following questions briefly:
a) What are the major landforms ?
Ans: The major landforms are mountains, plateaus and plains.
b) What is the difference between a mountain and a plateau ?
|It is a natural elevation of the earth surface.||It is a flat-topped table land standing above the surrounding area.|
|Mountains have a rich variety of flora and fauna.||Plateaus have mineral deposits.|
|Since the slopes are steep, less land is available for farming.||Since the soil is fertile, the land is good for cultivation.|
c) What are the different types of mountains ?
Ans: The three types of mountains are : Block, Fold and Volcanic.
d) How are mountains useful to man ?
Ans: Mountains are useful to man in the following ways:
- Since mountains are the storehouse of water, it provides water to the mankind.
- It also provides water for irrigation.
- Water from mountains is used to generate hydro-electricity.
- The forests in mountains provide fuel, fodder, shelter and other products like gum, resins, etc.
- It provides an idyllic site for tourists.
- Several sports like paragliding, hang gliding, river rafting and skiing are popular in mountains.
e) How are plains formed ?
Ans: Most of the plains are formed by rivers and their tributaries. The rivers flow down the slopes of mountains and erode them. They carry forward the eroded material. Then they deposit their load consisting of stones, sand and silt along their courses and in their valleys. It is from these deposits that plains are formed.
f) Why are the river plains thickly populated ?
Ans: The river plains are thickly populated because the flat land is available for building houses and transport. The fertile soil makes the land highly productive for cultivation.
g) Why are the mountains thinly populated ?
Ans: The mountains are thinly populated because of the harsh climate and low availability of land for cultivation.