Important Notes :
Democracy is a form of government in which rulers are elected by people.
Features of Democracy:
- The final decision making power rests with those elected by the people.
- Democracy must be based on a free and fair election.
- Each adult citizen must have one vote and each vote must have one value.
- Democratic government rules within limits set by constitutional laws and citizens’ rights.
Arguments for Democracy:
- Democratic government is a more accountable form of government.
- Democracy improves the quality of decision-making.
- Democracy enhances the dignity of citizens.
- Democracy provides a method to deal with differences and conflicts.
- Democracy allows us to correct its own mistakes.
Arguments against Democracy:
- The often change of leadership leads to instability.
- It is all about political competition and power play. There is no place for morality.
- So many people have to be consulted before taking a decision which may lead to delays.
- If elected leaders don’t know the best interests of people, it may lead to chaos.